Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Living Springs Camp 2012

Some thoughts about our camp at Living Springs. Last week 110 of our students, along with 23 parents and teachers, spent 3 days at Living Springs Camp at Governor’s Bay. We were spoilt with great weather and a group of students who worked positively and with determination to achieve their camp goals, which were to:
- Support each other
- Challenge themselves
- Share responsibilities
 - Work as a team
 Our students have shared some of their thoughts about a selection of the challenges and activities pictured below.

Balanz Bikes
To move forward on these bikes you have to pedal like a normal bike and to turn you have to lean the way you want to turn. These bikes were very popular as well as gun. Best of all they go very fast. By Joel and Bailey
Archery
I am trying to do archery, which for me was a bit tricky as it was hard to focus on the target. We were able to shoot three arrows, but I missed all of them. We were taught to pull the string part back with the tips of our fingers so we could touch our ear with our thumb, then we let go. I really enjoyed this activity. By Mereana
Yummy Food 
My favourite meal at Living Springs was hamburger and chips. The hamburger contained a meat patty, lettuce, tomato, cheese and of course tomato sauce. It was scrumptious. The chips were fresh and crunchy. The tasty lamingtons pictured above were our morning tea treat on the last day. By Isabella
Bouldering Wall
I am climbing on the indoor bouldering wall. There was a coloured word on a sign on each wall and that was the colour of the wall handle you were to climb up. We practised these climbs and then we did “Around the World” where you had to climb from one wall around to the other wall. This was very difficult because at the end there is a section where you have to stretch your legs out a long distance to complete the course. I like climbing and I was pleased I completed this challenge. By Tyler
Initiatives Course 
We are working together as a team trying to get the tyre over the top of the pole. Finally we pushed it over by supporting Joel to reach up and do it. Next we had to put it back on again so Iona stepped on my back, Angelina lifted her up and passed the tyre to Joel who managed to place it back on the pole. By Michaela
Spider’s Web 
At this challenge we had to try and get every team member through a different gap in the web without touching the rope. If you touched the rope everybody had to start the challenge again. After time passes we finally got through. It was extremely hard especially lifting people and supporting them through the higher gaps. By Tenequa
Low Ropes 
I am completing the Low Ropes course, which was difficult because you were balancing on a really thin piece of wire and the ropes weren’t that tight. This meant that when you walked across they moved all over the place. During one turn I had I flipped over the ropes and got tangled up – it was extremely hard. By Ciaran
Sheep Shearing 
It felt weird shearing Baa-bara the sheep because the cutters on the shearing hand piece move really fast when you move it along the sheep’s back. It was vibrating in my hand. If you put cuts on the sheep they will heal fast but make sure you are careful when shearing. As you see in the photo Brad is cutting the wool with help from Dennis. By Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment