Stories of the Sea
Room 11 students were fortunate to participate in a writing
lesson with Mrs Trudy Francis, who is leading our teaching staff through a
professional development programme on Writing in 2013.
We were learning to use or senses to create images in our
minds and then show these images in words relating an experience we had around
the sea.
The motivation for writing was to use our senses to taste
nori, feel “Mannie” the prawn and feel/hear a collection of shells.
The following examples (recrafted several times) exhibit
students showing their images in words.
The Story of the Sea
I see the huge salty,
foamy waves crashing against the sand leaving only big chunks of slimy
seaweed. I hear the waves crashing
against the sand and rocks while the seagulls are squawking at the people
below. I feel the sticky sand glued to my body because of the frothy, foamy,
salty seawater. I smell the salty seawater crosses with decaying fish skeletons
along the rocks
By Rakai
Adventurous Surfers v Monstrous Waves
I study the waves
wrestling, as they try to knock the masculine surfers off their boards. Aaaaaaaah….., a surfer shrieks for help, as
he gets knocked off his board into the monstrous waves. I listen to the wave’s
crest, smashing against the sand as if there is a fierce battle with the sea
versus the sand. I inhale the sea foam, clothing the entire beach with a fresh
smell.
By Azriel
Exciting Day at the Beach
I see waves, higher
than most men, and dead eels strewn across the sand.
I hear the thunderous
song of waves crashing and wiping out anything in their path. I smell a
horrible whiff of decaying sea plants and animals.
I feel like a sand
mummy just after I rolled down a sand dune.
By Jack
Wonder Beach
I gaze at the waves,
some small as ants, some taller than men.
I listen to the squawking seagulls and rocks rattling as the sea drags
them in. I scent fish in the ocean and
the salty, sweet whiff coming with the waves.
I frisk at my feet to get the sand out from in between my toes like
putting them in a tank of worms. I dab the seawater off my face when the saves
splash against the rocks. It was
wonderful.
By Mia
The Senses of the Sea
I see the monstrous
waves clashing onto the hot silky sand as if the sand was in trouble with the
waves. I can see the seagulls searching for fish around the wet and slippery
rocks. I hear furious waves smashing on
the sand and seagulls screeching numerous amounts of times. I smell the salty fragrant perfume of the sea
with a whiff of fish making a perfect smell for the ocean. I feel the clam
salty mist spraying against my cheek as the waves clash on the beach like a
thunderstorm. I feel soaked and excited.
By Isla
Rock Mountain
I see a big rock
mountain, black as night, in the distance.
It was a cave. Glittery glowworms are lighting up the cave like a
magical blue moon. I hear small waves
clashing against our boat, seagulls in the distance as well as lines casting
out catching fish. I smell the rank, rank smell of decaying fish while blocking
my nose and trying to breathe out of my mouth without gagging. I feel Shaa’s
hand, as I get scared of the dark mysterious cave. I feel little splashes on my face from the
water below.
By Rosie
Mrs Francis listening to our “Stories of the Sea”.
Mrs Francis giving us feedback on our sea writing and how she was able
to imagine herself in these places due to our description. Great feedback for us all.
Awesome guys!:)
ReplyDelete